Dismiss Notice
If you login with Facebook and you can submit your game to our link directory for extra exposure. heh? nudge - nudge

Can we better ourselves with video games?

Discussion in 'Theory, Research, Business' started by Kaidus, Aug 25, 2016.

By Kaidus on Aug 25, 2016 at 3:49 PM
  1. Kaidus

Kaidus Administrator Staff Member

Can we really benefit by playing video games?

Games basically make us think faster, perceive better, and learn in a way parents have shunned for over a decade. Video games may become the new educational foundation by offering advanced learning benefits and a whole new look at the future of education.

Is anyone else thinking how Spock advanced his gray cells in Star Trek? It would work right!

[​IMG]
    spock simulated learning enviornment

I suppose we should start with less fantasy.
    Dr. Ezriel of WebMD.com says that it’s more than just playing games, it’s learning. When learning to play games, synapses are forming thousands of connections in your brain that improve quick thinking and split second decisions. (Just think how handy this skill would become the next time you’re in a car accident.) The doctor explains that just playing isn’t enough; gamers are constantly challenging themselves, improving their cognitive abilities.

What if we applied the idea of learning through games to the educational system?

Computer simulations are a form of gaming where tasks are realized in the digital world. Many people have heard of flight simulators that teach you how to fly, and recently surgical simulations to improve results in medical fields. Dr Jeffery Taekman, director of Duke University’s Human Simulation and Patient Safety Center, explains a world without textbooks. To better understand and apply information, subjects for students would be taught using simulations. These digital tasks will help students make quicker choices and learn better.

I think the benefits of simulated schools would sharply increase the intelligence and the rate at which children and young adults learn.
    [​IMG]

Studies have proven that simulations in the fields of flying and medical have helped save lives. However, these simulations have never deprived students of their childhood. The initiation of simulated school should first be slowly implemented and balanced to see the effects it will have on children. Group simulations could help students interact with the class and still receive the social benefits of school.

So what do all these studies say of the future?
    The benefits of gaming will help develop the future much faster and so far appear to be having a positive effect.

(Its super effective!)

The ability to think faster and make split second decisions can be a valuable asset that may even save somebody’s life. Simulations will increase productivity that could create a generation of genius.

Will the rest of the world be inferior to this new generation’s intelligence?

[​IMG]
    All are inferior! Mwahahahahahah

I can see a bright future for our world with the development of technology; exploring new ways to increase the intelligence of future generations sounds like the right direction to me.

Footnote: www.gameandsimulationbasedlearning.org/ and webmd.com

Comments

Discussion in 'Theory, Research, Business' started by Kaidus, Aug 25, 2016.

1. George Maclean
      George Maclean
      Wow.. nice article and i personally concur to this idea!
    2. George Maclean
    3. Bonniekiller
      Bonniekiller
      I think technology has a lot to offer, I wonder what battles will be fought along the way however. Already you can see it as kids teach their parents how to use cell phones and then smart phones and I have heard a lot of people complain about younger generations using their phones too much even though the younger generation actually knows more about it than them (even though the older generation knows more about different things). So as computers and other technology gets more advanced, I wonder what the backlash will be along the way.

I think convincing the younger generation tech is cool is pretty easy, it is the older one that I think will be tougher, but maybe they will be more accepting than the previous one, we can only hope.
      Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016
    4. Workingbuck
      Workingbuck
      I totally agree, not just because I'm a gamer. Games do teach us a lot, I used to have difficulty with eye and hand coordination when I was a kid,. But now, multi-tasking is quite normal to me. Making a dozen ideas in your head in just minutes and you already know where half of these ideas would possibly lead. Gaming helps a lot on brain development and other skills too, I've learned a bit of the craft of buying and selling stuff just because i've tried doing it in MMORPG games back in the days. A skill that I still use to this day.