Dismiss Notice
Login with Facebook for a quick registration.

Dead Ascend

Discussion in 'Finished Games' started by blackgrain, Apr 10, 2017.

1. blackgrain

blackgrain New Member

Hey guys

After the somewhat tame release of my first game Hammer Bees I decided my next task was to finish a game I've had on my harddisk (gathering digital dust) for almost 10 years(!).

The game was ~90% complete at the time. It "only" needed a new engine and some final touches - so I resurrected the game - and made it open-source in the process.

Dead Ascend is a hand-drawn, 2D point'n'click-like adventure - set in the middle of a zombie apocalypse

I'm providing free, ad-supported, pre-build apps for

Android on Google Play
    and
    iOS on Apple App Store

The source code is on GitHub. The game can be build using Qt.

Hope you like it - I'm off to my next adventure already

2. Gamer Girl

Gamer Girl New Member

Just tried it out... I had no idea what to do at first but I slowly started to figure it out.

It's cool you took the time to finish it, so many projects get left behind gathering dust forever, I'm glad to hear of one actually being completed.

The first level took me a minute but I got there in the end and am currently working on the second level. I think the puzzles are a good amount of challenging and also obvious enough you can figure them out with a little thought, although I haven't played that many puzzle games before so I may not be the best judge :p

I like the art style and all the little notes that pop up when you click on things, they bring a nice character to the game.

I found one glitch, totally at random. I got up for a minute and when I came back my phone was asleep. I unlocked it, the game had been open when the phone went to sleep so as soon as I opened my phone up the game was on and a full screen add loaded. I closed the add but then the game wouldn't load full screen, it was stuck like this:
    zombiepuzzle.jpg
    I tried turning my phone upside down to see if that fixed it and it just rotated but stayed the same.

Not sure if you'll be able to replicate this or want to bother with it, I discovered it totally by accident and I haven't had it happen again but thought it would be good for you to know.

Anyways, I like the game and I'll make my brain hurt a little more later on when I have more time to play it :)

P.S. I also left a review in the app store, hope it helps :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  3. RazTutu

RazTutu Member

Hello
    It is a good game. I also left a 5 star review on google play. There are some things that you could have done better, but for an indie game this is good.
    A piece of advice from me:
    It's a little bit hard, and there are moments where you don't know what to do. A little box with "tips" that could appear after a minute or something like this would be awesome.
    I know you need these ads to make some money, but there are moments when they appear for too long on the screen and I don't see a bit of the game.
    It gets a little boring after a while, but again, a box with "hints, tips" or whatever you want will solve this problem.
    Sorry because I am too critical but I just want to help you make the best game possible, because I see you already have the know-how.

4. blackgrain

blackgrain New Member

Hey peeps.

Thanks for your valuable feedback and ratings.

I might get enough time on my hands to fix the bugs - but right now I'm working on my next release - so I'm currently investing my time there :)

It's nice to see people actually play it and take the time to give me feedback - thank you so much!

I'm preparing a video teaser for my next game which I'll post in these forums at some point soon (hopefully).

@Gamer Girl:
    Thanks for the screenshot - I've never seen that bug before. It's probably in the Ad overlay (Ads are honestly the devil's work - also for developers) - which is hard to get just right. Thank you for you kind rating

@RazTutu:
    Thanks for the feedback - I know how you feel about the ads - they're dreadful - and to be honest I've made a huge mistake - because Dead Ascend has 0% replayability - so people will play the game once and then, by high chance, never return :) It might seem obvious but I completly overlooked this when deciding how to release it. So. There you have it. Bad for the users - and even bad for me. Thank you for you kind rating though - and for the constructive critisicm.

My next game will steer, in a big loop, around ads - to give a better user experience and hopefully less bugs :)

5. RazTutu

RazTutu Member

Can't wait to play your next game. Do you decided about a realease date or something?

6. blackgrain

blackgrain New Member

Cool!
    I haven't got a concrete release date - but I'm aiming for the end of the year +/- a month or two (probably plus)

I'm going to release a video soon to show off the core mechanism - and hopefully get some feedback and ideas on it.

It'll be an 2d point'n'click adventure with full day and night cycles - and a possibility to warp the time yourself - I gives a really cool extra dimension to the puzzles - I just hope it will be well-received *fingers crossed* :)