Dismiss Notice
Login with Facebook for a quick registration.

Do you still need to go to university?

Discussion in 'Theory, Research, Business' started by RazTutu, Apr 7, 2017.

1. RazTutu

RazTutu Member

I thought about it last night and I want to tell you what do I think about it.
    First of all, it depends. If you learn at home good things and you can apply for a job where they will teach you everything you need to know(keep in mind that you already had some ideas from what you learnt at home). This thing works very good on IT. You can be even a game developer with a lot of work(and I mean A LOT). In my country Ubisoft makes internships every year with students or people who learnt programming at home.
    The bad thing is if you want to be an accountant then you must go to a university.

A computer science university is also good. You will learn new things(maybe you will not use them in the future but you will definitely think better). You will also meet new people(maybe a future wife, who knows). IT companies doesn't ask for computer science diploma nowadays, but it will be a huge plus. It is your decision.

In conclusion, I recommend to go to university. Not because you will learn things that you will use a lot, but meet new people and this is a good thing.

Where did you go to university? What do you think, is it a must?

2. Gamer Girl

Gamer Girl New Member

Personally, as long as you can afford it, have time for it, and all the other logistical things work out, I think it totally depends on what career you want.

I never got into the social side of it that much so for me it was just about learning, which I loved, but it the time of school started to clash with my career interests that weren't benifiting from my learning.

If you want to be a doctor or some other sort of job that recquires a degree then obviously college is a must. However there is plenty of gray area, especially in game developement, where it isn't always clear.

I heard about a girl who got her degree in game development and at the time was working as an intern running coffee, taking notes, other meaningless tasks that had nothing to do with what she actually got her degree in or wanted to be doing. However, she was working for a big company, possibly making connections, etc. that could open doors later on.

However, maybe she would have been better off just trying to make her own games at home for awhile or teaming up with some other people and possibly start profiting and gaining real world experience.

As far as I see it, there is the self employed/indie rout and the corporate route.

If you don't know exactly what you want to do an education will never be a bad idea though, unless you go into massive debt or something.

If you know exaclty what you want to do, then you'll probably have a good idea of whether you need a few college classes, none, or a full on degree.

Just my $0.02 :p